Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Curry Soup

It has been freezing outside lately and I wanted to make something for dinner to warm Jimmy and I up a bit. I knew I wanted to make a soup I just didn't know what kind I wanted to make. And as I was flipping through my cook books I came across this recipe and knew this is what I wanted to make. Its pretty simple to make, the squash do have a little prep time to peeling and cutting them but its soooo worth it! I was a little scared about using the Curry since I had never tried it before, (Jimmy loves Curry but I am always a baby about things being to spicy for me) but I must say it roped me in I like Curry. I even liked the flavors of this soup without adding the Curry. Either way this soup is awesome for a cold night, it warmed me right up. It was the perfect amount of spice and maybe next time I make it I might even add a little more Curry just to test it. The recipe makes a decent size pot so be prepare to share or if you have a hubby like mine who goes back for 2nd's or ummm maybe even 3rd's you wont have a problem Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably
  • homemade
  • 1/2 teaspoon good Curry Powder

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash mixture between 2 sheet pans and spread it in a single layer. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until very tender.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done,you can place the roasted vegetables in batches in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add some of the chicken stock and coarsely puree.When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste for seasonings to be sure there's enough salt and pepper to bring out the curry flavor. Reheat and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment